Each year I perform at about one hundred weddings throughout the UK. I’m frequently asked for recommendations of venues from future brides and grooms so thought I would take this quiet time during the lockdown to compile a list. I’ve decided to do this by county starting with Surrey as this is local to me. If you’re looking for venues in other counties I will slowly (very slowly) be creating these but if there’s nothing up yet get in touch and I can share my opinions.
The venues I’ve included below are one’s I have worked at regularly and had the best experience from the staff and witness a general level of quality and attention to detail in making your big day special.
- Pennyhill Park Hotel and Spa – London Road, Bagshot. Pennyhill park is part of the exclusive group. All of their hotels seem to offer superlative service with some of the most friendly and helpful staff I’ve ever come across. The hotel is based in an ivy clad mansion with stunning grounds. Over the years I’ve performed at weddings within the mansion and in the pavilion in the garden, both make for an unforgettable location. The food is always top quality and the service the very best. Highly recommended.
- De Vere Horsley Towers – East Horsley. Another hotel that is part of a chain, this is not a negative though as De Vere are some of the best hotels in the world. Stunning architecture set in stunning grounds, amazing food and superb service. What more could you ask for. The wedding chapel is stunning, as is the room the wedding breakfasts take place. Even if you’re not getting married it’s worth a visit. I’ve performed at a few corporate functions here as well over the years and they’re equally good at hosting functions of this nature.
- De Vere Wotton House – Guildford Road, Dorking . Ok, another De Vere hotel. No I’m not being paid to advertise their venues (although if they want to give me a free weekends stay when the lockdown is over I won’t say no). The fact is their hotels are some of the very best in the world. The weather always seems to be shining when I perform here and most of the receptions I’be performed at have taken place in their stunning gardens. A particularly memorable one was a picnic in the grounds. The food supplied was excellent and the general atmosphere was so relaxed and enjoyable (not something that can be said of every wedding!). If I was to have an outdoor wedding this would be my venue of choice.
- Nutfield Priory Hotel and Spa – Nutfield. This ones part of the handpicked group and another converted mansion house. Surrounded by beautiful scenery, ideal for your wedding photos this is another beautiful location. I have a bit of a thing for stained glass windows which this hotel has in abundance. The hotel has been beautifully converted and is ideal for any function.
- Loseley Park – Guildford. Another converted manor house but this one has a 17th century tithe barn (not sure what a tithe barn is) in which the receptions take place (at least all the ones I have performed at). The grounds here are particularly stunning with a walled garden. The panelled hall in which the ceremony can take place is particularly beautiful. One of the best I’ve been to in the UK.
Whilst this list is far from comprehensive, hopefully it will give you a few venues to check out. As more come to mind I will add to this list. If you want more details about any of these venues or have another in mind (chances are I’ve been there at some point) please get in touch, always happy to offer advice.
Edward Crawford is a professional magician and mind reader performing at weddings, corporate events and private functions throughout the UK. Each year Edward performs at over 200 events at locations throughout the UK and the world. For more details for events in Surrey head over to the SURREY PAGE. For the rest of the world click on the home button above and for information about Edwards performances at weddings go to the WEDDING PAGE.